Criminal Defense Attorney Job Profile and Description
The Criminal Defense Attorneys are those who represent the accused in order to ensure that his rights are being protected against the prosecution. The duty of this type of professional is to stress on the legal rights of the accused thereby trying to remove the complaints made against him. He should provide thorough details of the accused charges and should ensure that the accused is not being made to endure any injustice. They can work independently as private attorneys or can even represent some association or the state. These professionals can also work for the nonprofit organizations.
Criminal Defense Attorney Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing strategies and scrutinizing the findings.
- Researching and gathering of information in order to establish a case.
- Participating in legal analysis, plea bearing, memorandum and trials.
- Preparing and drafting of the legal documents thereby acting as the agent of the client.
- Studying out the information gathered by the witnesses, police, detectives which stand against the accused in order to prepare the case properly.
- Cross examining the witnesses and summarizing his findings that work in favor of his client to the jury.
Criminal Defense Attorney Skills and Specifications
- Ability to advice and counsel people efficiently
- Ability to negotiate
- Strong grasp over oratory methods
- Great analytical skills
- High observational and memorization skills
Criminal Defense Attorney Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from a reputed law school along with courses like history, political science, economics, an social science is highly essential
- Previous practice experience under the senior lawyers in criminal cases would be an added advantage.
Criminal Defense Attorney Salary
The median remuneration for the criminal defense attorney is $95,195 per annum. However, their income would greatly vary depending on the nature of the criminal case they take up and the experience of the professional.