Engineering Geologist Job Description and Profile
The job of an Engineering Geologist entails supervision and performance of Engineering Geology work. An engineering geologist reviews plans that conform to specific ordinances that deal with earth and soil stability. He also performs related work when required by his superior officer. He has ample knowledge in the practices and principles of engineering geology, grading techniques and methods and soils mechanics.
Duties and Specifications
- Assists and supervises in the review and examination of lot splits, subdivision maps as well as grading and building plans to determine complete compliance with geological and engineering requirements, grading and drainage policies and requirements and soils mechanics.
- Performs effective field investigations of concerned subdivisions in reference with the structural stability of existing excavations.
- Addresses all types of drainage, soils and geological requirements.
- Carries out and accomplishes special projects, specifically on engineering geology and prepares corresponding reports.
- Creates and drafts revised ordinances with regards to grading and other related areas.
- Supervises and provides assistance to subordinates when providing solution to difficult issues.
- Attends every meeting help with the Planning and Subdivision Committee in the capacity of an advisor.
- Acts as an engineering geology consultant when performing legal enforcement of ordinances in grading.
Skills and Specifications
- Ability to learn policies and laws governing soil requirements as well as grading, geological and drainage requirements.
- Be able to review data and reports; read grading and geologic plans; and prepare reports and recommendations.
- Must be able supervise and review staff work.
- Be able to competently represent his department at Boards and Commissions meetings.
- Must establish effective and harmonious work relationships with developers, property owners, engineers and contractors.
Education and Qualifications
- Must be registered as professional and licensed engineering geologist.
- Possesses valid Class C Driver’s License.