Firefighter Trainee Job Description and Profile
Under immediate supervision, the job of Firefighter Trainee entails attending the Fire Department Recruit Academy to be able to receive instructions meant to qualify trainees for Firefighter classification and do other duties in non-safety capacity when required. He is promoted to Firefighter as soon as he finishes in the Firefighter Recruit Academy.
Duties and Specifications
- Attends the Recruit Academy for Fire Fighters in order to obtain important instructions in such related topics and issues like wild land and structural fire fighting, hazardous material response, emergency medical and health response, high angle type of rope rescue, Urban City Search and Rescue and other related all-risk immediate response tasks and duties.
- Regularly joins in rigorous physical as well as mental health and fitness training.
Skills and Specifications
- Must have the ability to learn and understand the proper use of fire fighting implements and tools.
- Must know how to fully understand and follow instructions and directions, both in verbal and written forms.
- Be able to effectively and efficiently communicate in a verbal manner.
- Has the skill to be employed and work under a highly structured organization that usually requires emotional, physical and psychological stability under great level of stress.
- Must be able to work and thrive in an outdoor type of environment.
- Have the ability to perform moderate and heavy levels of physical tasks and activities for prolonged periods of time.
- Must have ample knowledge of basic yet complete emergency medical and health techniques and methods.
Education and Qualifications
- Possesses current National or State EMT-1 Certificate, or; possesses current National or State EMT-P license.
- Candidates are allowed to apply for the position provided that they are currently enrolled in National or State EMT-P or EMT-1 course. However, one will not receive appointment until he has obtained the necessary certificate or license.
- Additional qualification is possession of valid State Driver’s License (Class C). However, State Driver’s License (Class B-restricted) is necessary within a year of appointment.