Fleet Manager Job Description and Profile
The job of the fleet manager entails the management of overall operation of company garages and as well as light and heavy fleet of vehicles. He likewise performs related tasks and duties when the situation warrants it. Basically he is responsible for purchasing and disposal of items, control of inventory and administration of a number of garages.
Duties and Specifications
- Plans and heads the operations of a number of company garages.
- Develops and maintains efficient shop performance standards, procedures and policies.
- Assures accuracy of parts inventories.
- Develops and maintains division budget.
- Directs repair, service and maintenance of company vehicles.
- Develops and supervises vehicle preventive maintenance schemes.
- Reviews periodic repair procedures to ensure completeness, accuracy and efficiency.
- Recommends vehicles meant for replacement and arranges for necessary disposal or auction.
- Interviews, trains and disciplines subordinate staff members.
- Assesses training for staff and personnel.
- Directs supervisory staff in planning of automotive repair and maintenance jobs.
- Investigates vehicle accidents, negotiates for any possible settlements and authorizes any repairs or maintenance of company vehicles.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to direct operations of company garages.
- Must create and implement performance procedures and policies.
- Be able to create and oversee inventories.
- Must know how to make assessments of training needs.
- Be able to oversee scheduling of vehicle repairs and maintenance.
- Must be able to create preventative vehicle maintenance programs and evaluation schedules.
- Be able to prepare vehicle specifications meant for purchase.
- Must know how to operate and utilize computerized tracking systems.
- Be able to analyze full operating costs
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree of any College Course
- 4 years of automotive experience in a managerial capacity.
- 2 years of supervisory experience in fleet operations and repair and maintenance of vehicles.