Heavy Equipment and Truck Driver Job Description and Profile
Under general direction, the job of the Heavy Equipment and Truck Driver entails driving diesel-powered tractor-trailer combination of 4 or even more axles in the transportation of refuse and recyclable type of materials. He performs skilled type of work in the maintenance and operation power equipment such as loaders at landfills and other refuse transfer locations. He likewise performs related tasks and duties when required.
Duties and Specification
- Operates a diesel powered tractor and trailer combination of four axles or even more to be used in the transportation of recyclable and refuse material
- Maintains and keeps operator log
- Computes exact axle weights to make sure that the load is within acceptable and legal limits.
- Operates loader equipments for the loading and compacting or recyclable and refuse materials into heavy trucks to be brought to other locations or sites.
- Operates other types of heavy equipment such as water trucks, dump trucks, forklifts and bobcats.
- Performs repairs of heavy equipment.
Skills and Specifications
- Must have the ability to operate diesel-powered tractor-trailer combination in an effective and safe manner.
- Able to read and understand policies and procedures.
- Able to write legibly in order to keep and maintain logs.
- Able to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Be able to work and interact well with others.
- Must have knowledge of safe work methods and practices
- Must know guidelines for truck regulations and inspections related to the operation of semi-tractor trailers with 4 axles or more.
Education and Qualifications
- 1 year of driving experience in the operation of diesel powered tractor-trailer combination of 4 axles or more.
- Possession of a valid State Driver’s License (Class A) is required.
- Knowledge and experience on basic maintenance of heavy equipment is highly desirable.