Mail Center Worker Job Description and Profile
Under general supervision, the Mail Center Worker job’s entails performing a variety of tasks and duties such as United States mail processing, interior office mail and correspondence service, transportation of surplus property, and other related tasks and duties as may be assigned to him.
Duties and Specifications
- Provides day-to-day nationwide mail service, including delivering United States mail, office mail, legal papers and other documents, medical and health records, drug supplies, biological and chemical specimens as well as live cultures, hazardous materials, US currency and even small office and home equipment.
- Collects and sorts registered, outgoing first class and certified United States mail.
- Prepares all mail to be transported to mail processing company.
- Provides US Service receiving and shipping tasks and duties.
- Determines and calculates different mail processing charges and costs.
- Completes and accomplishes mail charge and billing forms.
- Unloads copy paper from vehicles and delivers them to Quick Copy or Reprographics with the use of pallet jacks.
- Delivers manuals, printed documents, boxes of copy papers and forms from Reprographics and Quick Copy.
- Collects and keeps surplus supplies, equipment and office furniture.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to make basic mathematical calculations.
- Be able to complete simple mail related forms.
- Know how to read and interpret charts and tables.
- Must know how to operate a postage meter device.
- Be able to safely lift and carry equipment, furniture and office supplies.
- Be able to observe fully safe work as well as driving rules and practices.
- Must know how to plan and prioritize work.
- Be able to memorize names, addresses and locations.
- Able to communicate in a clear and tactful manner.
- Must have knowledge of basic record keeping procedures.
Education and Qualifications
- At least a year of mailroom, clerical, delivery, receiving, shipping and storekeeping experience.
- Possession of a valid State driver’s License (Class C) is required.