Mason job profile and description
The job of a mason is to build structures from different materials like brick, concrete and stone. While it is the engineers who design and plan construction, masons make the plans a reality. A mason may lead a group of construction crew in the construction project.
Mason duties and responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a mason are:
- Preparing the construction site in order to make it suitable for construction by leveling and cleaning the ground
- Constructing the building as per the blueprints
- Mixing cement in required proportions
- Handling construction equipment and machines
- Learning the use of different construction machines
- Presents estimates of work force and materials required to the project in charge
- Be aware of all the safety precautions since the job involves many risks like construction at high levels and mixing toxic materials for construction
- Work through all weathers and seasons until the construction is done
- Ensuring that the work is done as per plan and within the specified time frame
Mason skills and specifications
The job of a mason is physically very demanding since the mason will have to work in difficult weather conditions. In addition, the job is majorly of a physical nature and requires handling heavy loads.
- A sound knowledge about using construction equipment and other technical construction details like mixing ratios of cement and concrete, time of setting and curing etc.
- A sound knowledge about all the safety precautions to be followed while construction
- Ability to constantly learn about the new construction equipments and their use
- Must be very hardworking
- Ability to work in bad weather conditions
- Good decision making skills
Mason education and qualification
A mason does not require any specified education and qualifications. They learn their work while on the job. Some jobs ask for a certification and mason license before employing the applicant
Masons are paid on an hourly basis and the wages may range between $14 to $28 per hour.