Medical office Assistant is required to help the physician and other medical practitioners in carrying out various tasks such as preparing and maintaining the patient’s files, answering to the patient’s queries on the phone, giving appointments to the patients, etc. These professionals are also required to deal with different staff members from other departments in order to get various tasks done.
The role of a medical office assistant is vital especially in big hospitals and healthcare centers where there is a lot of work pressure which the physicians cannot handle alone. It is essential to undergo a relevant course in order to get into this position. Most employers also prefer hiring candidates having a related work experience.
Medical Office Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Medical Office Assistant is required to manage various tasks of the organization he is working for. Some of his job duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Medical Office Assistant is required to fix up the patient’s appointments with the doctor.
- Medical Office Assistant needs to follow the instructions given by the doctors and carry out various tasks accordingly.
- Medical Office Assistant needs to greet the patients when they arrive in the hospital/ nursing home and direct them to the doctor.
- Medical Office Assistant is required to complete the initial formalities and paper work before the patient is allowed to meet the doctor.
- Medical Office Assistant needs to study the medical history of the patient and discuss the same with the doctor
- Medical Office Assistant is required to maintain a record of the patients who meet the doctors.
- Medical Office Assistant needs to prepare and maintain the patient’s files.
- Medical Office Assistant is required to help the patients in filling the insurance forms.
- Medical Office Assistant is required to arrange for laboratory services for the patients.
Medical Office Assistant Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required to become a Medical Office Assistant are as follows:
- Medical Office Assistant must have good communication skills.
- Medical Office Assistant is required to have good time management skills.
Medical Office Assistant Education and Qualification
The educational qualification needed to get into the position of Medical Office Assistant is as follows:
- A High School Diploma
- The candidate must have completed a bachelors degree
- Pass a Medical Assisting Program
Medical Office Assistant Salary
The average salary of Medical Office Assistant is $ 37,000. The salary may vary depending upon the company and the city the candidate is employed in and also based on the candidate’s qualification and experience.