Medical Records Administrator Job Description and Profile
Under general direction, the job of the Medical Records Administrator entails planning, overseeing and implementing medical records systems of the hospital or medical center. The Medical Records Administrator supervises medical records staff members and performs other related tasks that are required of him to do. His job is to ensure the medical records are maintained according to applicable rules and regulations.
Duties and Specifications
- Plans and oversees medical reports and records.
- Oversees the formulation and creation of procedures and policies concerning processing, content and confidentiality.
- Assists in developing or evaluating automated medical reports and records.
- Prepares summary reports taken from clinician and management medical records.
- Formulates methods and procedures that are related to medical records retention and safekeeping.
- Monitors and maintains medical records in compliances with State and Federal Laws.
- Ensures medical records are able to meet reimbursement standards.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to plan, direct and grade the work of staff members.
- Must be able to read and interpret rule, laws and regulations related to content, processing and confidentiality of medical records.
- Be able to prepare letters related to medical reports and records with the use of appropriate punctuation, grammar and spelling.
- Must know how to conduct training sessions for staff members.
- Be able to establish effective and harmonious work relationships with other legal and professional staffs as well as his peers and the general public.
- Must to able to maintain full confidentiality of patient medical records.
- Must know how to utilize personal computer applications like spreadsheets and word processing.
Education and Qualifications
- One year of relevant experience in supervising and maintaining medical record systems for ambulatory and acute services as Health Information Administrator.
- Possession of a valid State Driver’s License (Class c).