News Editor Job Profile and Description
A News Editor needs to review, condense, and arrange the written materials that would go for publication in the newspaper. He is the one who collects the raw materials, checks them and prepare them for the final presentation. Editors can be of different types- news editor, print media editor etc; hence, though the fundamentals of these types would remain the same, the intricacies of their duties and responsibilities would differ.
News Editor Duties and Responsibilities
- Employing sub editors on the basis of their expertise and offering them training in order to make them suitable for the newspaper agency.
- Overseeing the work of other editors thereby ensuring that the quality meets the requisite criteria.
- Ensuring that the editorial attitude of the material that is created is in keeping with the publication needs and requirements.
- Checking the daily operation of the news-writing department by determining the content, accuracy, grammar, and style of the works.
- Overseeing the appearance and layout of articles thereby ensuring that the artwork and design of the photos accompanying the articles are apt.
- Negotiating payments with the freelance writers in cases where the duty of the News Editor is clubbed with that the human resource needs.
News Editor Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Innovative and creative bent of mind.
- Attention to details.
- Ability to work under stress and within deadlines.
- Excellent sense of grammar and style.
- Basic computer skills.
News Editor Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or any other subject in a liberal’s art field from a certified college.
- Previous experience in writing, reporting and editing during internship would add an advantage.
News Editor Manager Salary
The median salary of a news editor is something around $43,620. However, their income would greatly vary depending on the nature of the organization they work for and the experience of the professional.