Opinion Editor Job Profile and Description
The Opinion Editor performs the duty of creating accurate work that is informative and interesting at the same time. The expertise of these editors is not just limited to articles and write-ups but it also includes antics cartoons, puzzles, Sudoku, crossword, weekly horoscopes etc. He has to ensure that he offers the best opinion for the operation of the company and the work done by it is of the best quality.
Opinion Editor Duties and Responsibilities
- Verifying dates, facts, and statistics by using the typical reference sources.
- Reviewing and approving of proofs, which are submitted by the writers.
- Developing the content or story ideas by keeping the requirements of the reader and audience in mind.
- Overseeing the publication, layout, printing and computer typesetting after keeping in mind the budget and deadline requirements.
- Monitoring the operations pertaining to newsgathering by taking into consideration all news sources.
- Meeting with the artists, marketing directors, production managers, typesetters, etc in order to discuss different projects and resolve various problems.
- Interview and hire writers and reporters or negotiate contracts, royalties, and payments for authors or freelancers.
- Arranging the copyright permissions of the works.
- Offering opinion about different matters pertaining to the work done by the writers and reporters.
Opinion Editor Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Innovative and creative bent of mind.
- Ability to take prompt and useful decisions.
- Ability to work under stress and within deadlines.
- Excellent sense of grammar and style.
- Basic computer skills.
Opinion Editor Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or any other subject in a liberal’s art field from a certified college.
- Basic experience in writing, reporting and editing during internship before joining a company would be an added advantage.
Opinion Editor Manager Salary
The median salary of an opinion editor is something around $43,620. However, their income would greatly vary depending on the nature of the organization they work for and the experience of the professional.