Plan Check Engineer Job Description and Profile
Under general supervision, the Job of Plan Check Engineer entails the examination and checking of architectural as well as structural illustrations and drawings and specifications for building and structural permits, ensuring conformance with requirements in building codes. He provides engineering support to management team. He likewise performs other related tasks and duties assigned to him.
Duties and Specifications
- Reviews and examines architectural illustrations and drawings as well as engineering specifications for accuracy, completeness and compliance with structural, building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and energy conservation as well as disabled access numbers and codes and local structural building codes and regulations.
- Performs complicated engineering computations and analyses to check and scrutinize engineering calculations given by applicants.
- Suggests plan modifications to applicants in order to bring specifications and illustrations into full compliance with local and state building ordinances and codes.
- Advises other plan checkers in proper resolution of mechanical, structural, electrical, energy conservation, plumbing and disabled access issues.
- Gives advice to Building Official of necessary revisions to Standard Building Codes.
- Assists in the establishment or revision of departmental and company policies that occurred due to modifications in procedures on field applications or construction of the codes.
- Trains the department’s staff members in the application of new policies, codes and procedures.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to understand, interpret and utilize building regulations and codes to architectural illustrations and drawings as well as engineering specifications.
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in an effective manner with engineers, architects, inspectors, builders and the general public.
- Must know how to train his staff members.
Education and Qualifications
- Possesses bachelor’s degree in related courses such as mechanical, structural or civil engineering.
- Three years of relevant experience in reviewing building plans such as complex residential, commercial and industrial plans.
- Registration as Architect or Mechanical, Structural or Civil Engineer.