Polygraph Examiner Job Description and Profile
Under general supervision, the job of a Polygraph Examiner entails the interview and performing of polygraph examinations of those who are possibly involved in crimes and similar incidents such as suspects and witnesses. Oftentimes he even conducts such examinations to job applicants. The Polygraph Examiner likewise performs related tasks and duties that are required of him to do.
Duties and Specifications
- Conducts and interview polygraph exam of various applicants for specific types of positions having full access to record information of criminal offender.
- Interviews suspects, investigators and witnesses as well as others who are involved in crimes to determine all involved issues within the case.
- Develops a format on interrogation for every case and conducts polygraph exams to know whether the subjects are telling the truth or not.
- Analyzes and understands the end results of interviews as well as the examinations from all polygraph charts.
- Prepares complete written reports and summaries on the findings of the polygraph examinations.
- Maintains and keeps the polygraph equipments and tape recording machine in good order.
- Testifies as expert witness in court in the field of polygraph examinations.
- Maintains and keeps records from examinations and interviews.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to operate a polygraph instrument of various channels.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently both in writing and verbally.
- Analyze the results of polygraph examination and determines if the one who took the exam is truthful or not
- Knows about interrogation and interview methods, laws and techniques.
- Adept at polygraph practices, principles as well as equipment.
- Knows all psychological and physiological principles that are involved in polygraphy exams.
- Proficient in basic functions and mechanics of polygraph tools and instruments
- Must be able to learn about procedures in court as well as rules of evidences.
Education and Qualifications
- An important employment requirement of this position is a Certificate of completion of a course given by a Polygraph Center or school which is duly accredited by the leader in the field, American Polygraph Association.