Social Service Worker Job Description and Profile
Under direction, the job of the Social Service Worker entails performing social work. Social Service Worker works initially under strict supervision as a trainee and is expected to learn in various areas such as social service programs, departmental organization, case work services and case study methods. He likewise performs related tasks and duties required of him to do.
Duties and Specifications
- Interviews clients and his family members and other parties in order to assess various needs related to social services.
- Collects and evaluates important information, particularly housing situation, employment history, physical functioning, ability to live independently and financial status.
- Evaluates various concerns of clients and observes their behavior.
- Counsels his clients on a variety of resources and important areas that involve defined concerns or problems.
- Explains rights, procedures and responsibilities.
- Assists all clients in the identification and obtaining of basic services required for independent living.
- Identifies and refers a variety of agencies that provide food, clothing, shelter, educational, medical and a host of other services.
- Schedules appointments for clients.
- Acts as advocate to clients in getting services.
Skills and Specifications
- Able to learn and apply complex rules and policies that govern processes of social work program.
- Must interview a various types of people with different socio-economic backgrounds.
- Must be able to do his work independently.
- Be able to understand and follow various directions.
- Able to manage a caseload and details.
- Must maintain full confidentiality of important information.
- Be able to write and prepare routine reports.
- Able to organize a variety of work assignments and prioritize the more important ones.
- Must be able to draw decisions as well as independent judgments.
- Able to firmly and fairly deal with clients.
- Must maintain accurate and complete records.
Education and Qualifications
- Possesses Bachelor’s Degree in the areas of psychology, sociology, counseling, child development, behavior sciences and social work.
- Possesses valid State Driver’s License.