Education Counsellor is required to provide counselling sessions to students undergoing any problem with their studies. These counsellors mostly help the students in coping up with the examination stress. They also judge the students’ calibre and guide them on which subjects they should choose and what career path they should take up in order to excel professionally. It is essential to pursue a relevant degree course in order to get into this position.
Mostly employed at schools and educational institutes, education counsellors are required to deal with a number of students having different study related issues. Most of these institutes prefer hiring education counsellors having some prior work experience in the same field.
Education Counsellor Duties and Responsibilities
Education Counsellor is required to manage various tasks of the organization he is working for. Some of his job duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Education Counsellor is required to counsel the students and help them decide as to which course they should choose.
- Education Counsellor needs to guide the students about various educational programs.
- Education Counsellor is required to help the students in coping up with the examination stress.
- Education Counsellor needs to assist the students in overcoming other issues such as behavioural and social problems.
- Education Counsellor is required to find out the actual reason behind the students problems by doing some research work which can be done by meeting his friends, classmates, family members, etc.
- Education Counsellor needs to judge the students’ calibre and help him decide a suitable career path.
- Education Counsellor may be required to get in touch with the student’s parents and speak to them about the students’ issues and how the parents can help their children.
- Education Counsellor helps in boosting confidence in the students.
- Education Counsellor is required to monitor the student’s performance and guide him on improving the same.
Education Counsellor Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required to become an Education Counsellor are as follows:
- Education Counsellor should have good analytical skills.
- Education Counsellor must have patience.
- Education Counsellor must have good inter-personal skills.
Education Counsellor Education and Qualification
The educational qualification needed to get into the position of an Education Counsellor is as follows:
- A High School Diploma
- Degree in Education Counseling
Education Counsellor Salary
The average annual salary of a Education Counsellor is $ 38,000 . The salary may vary depending upon the employer and also the city in which these professionals are based. The salary also varies based on the candidate’s efficiency and work experience.