Education Counselor Job Profile and Description
Education counselors working within the school system perform a wide range of functions related to administration and counseling. Many of these duties vary as per the grade level of the students that the counselor has to work with.
In general, education counselors give students both group and individual counseling besides performing administrative and managerial duties. They can also work at the postsecondary level.
Education Counselor Duties and Responsibilities
Some of the typical duties and responsibilities that an education advisor has to execute include the following:
- Acting as a liaison between the students and the institute regarding degree options, admissions, graduation process, degree requirements etc.
- Providing students with timely, accurate, comprehensive and complete information regarding the policies and practices of the institute.
- Effectively communicating with the students and motivating and counseling them via critical thinking, creativity, problem solving and similar measures for inculcating a positive experience.
- Auditing student schedules towards the applicability of courseware as also the candidature for graduation. Also playing a collaborative roll for planning and executing the commencement of activities.
- Partnering with students for finding an appropriate way for reaching the completion of degrees via outside testing programs.
- Monitoring attendance as also enrollment and academic process of the students for ensuring that they align with the procedures and policies.
Education Counselor Skills and Specifications
Some of the skills and specifications that an education counselor must possess are likely to include the following:
- Detailed and thorough understanding of education, technology, education, counseling and similar programs and acting as a resource for both experienced and new counselors.
- Analytical ability for performing conflicting resolutions and academic advertisements.
- Collecting, analyzing and interpreting data so as to solve problems and troubleshoot potential issues.
- Significant level of communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate, lead, relate and interact effectively with others regarding difficult situations.
- Effectively and professionally delivering presentations for large and small groups.
- Result oriented and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Education Counselor Education and Qualification
Some of the common educational qualifications that an education counselor must have are as follows:
- Graduation in any stream from a recognized college or university in education, business administration, communication.
- At least four years’ of relevant work experience.
Education Counselor Salary
Education counselors are usually entitled to an annual average salary of $62,500 as revealed by the US bureau of labor statistics.