Engineering technician Job Profile and Description
An engineering technician is an individual who applies various principles of engineering in order to plan and design things. They use their knowledge in the field of technology to create new things. They have to conduct research in various fields of engineering as in civil engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, information technology and mechanical engineering. It is the duty of an engineering technician to solve all technical related problems.
They usually help and assist the engineer in conducting surveys, design and execute a project and also in the process of technical planning. Sometimes an engineering technician has to use machines and tools following the instructions of the engineer in order to do technical designing work. They may also have to gather data and organize it to help the engineers. Testing of engineered goods is also done by engineering technicians.
Engineering technician Duties and Responsibilities
There are various duties and responsibilities of an engineering technician. They are as follows:
- Assist the engineers and technicians and work as per their instructions
- Solve technical problems that are related to the project they are involved in
- Apply engineering solutions in order to solve technical problems
- Checking the engineered goods to see whether it is performing
- Reporting technical problems to engineers
- Assisting the engineers in the process of product designing
- Setting up technical equipments and if required building them
- Making preparation for experiments and conducting them
- Collecting data for the projects they are involved in
- Doing research work if required
- Working with software applications to perform various functions
- Preparing plans and specifications and also reports and documents as per the instruction of the engineer
Engineering technician Skills and Specifications
It is necessary for an engineering technician to have various skills and specifications. Some of them are as follows:
- Excellent technical knowledge
- Ability to follow instructions
- Ability to prepare documents and do planning
- Should be very attentive
- Knowledge about technical equipments
- Should be creative and innovative
Engineering technician Education and Qualification
It is necessary for an engineering technician to have a technical qualification. The most ideal degree would be an associate degree in engineering. For some engineering technicians it is necessary to have knowledge in CAD software.
Engineering technician salary
The salary of an engineering technician varies from one field to another. The annual salary is usually between $42000 and $57000.