ESL Teacher also known as English as a second language teacher is required to teach students whose first language is not English and are intending to live in UK for a long time or permanently. These teachers are employed at various locations and offer different courses on English language. These courses not only teach the linguistic aspects but also give knowledge about the UK culture.
They are required to prepare lessons and teach them. These teachers also conduct workshops for groups as well as individual students. They are required to prepare study syllabus and curriculum for these students. ESL Teachers need to assess the student’s knowledge and divide them into group and provide them lessons accordingly.
ESL Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
There are a number of duties and responsibilities assigned to an ESL Teacher. These include:
- ESL Teacher needs to identify the individual requirements of the students and help them with the assignments accordingly.
- ESL Teacher is required to ensure that the students maintain discipline while in the school premises.
- ESL Teacher needs to prepare study material and assignments for the students.
- ESL Teacher is required to assess the student’s knowledge by taking both oral as well as written tests from time to time.
- ESL Teacher needs to assess student’s performance.
- ESL Teacher is required to maintain a record of the student’s information.
- ESL Teacher needs to attend team meetings conducted for discussing the students’ study requirements.
- ESL Teacher collaborates with other teachers to design the study programs and curriculum.
- ESL Teacher is required to advise the students on completing the assignments.
- ESL Teacher needs to prepare information quality assurance activities.
- ESL Teacher needs to review the performance of the students and certify them accordingly.
- ESL Teacher helps in bidding for funding the projects.
ESL Teacher Skills and Specifications
ESL Teacher requires the below mentioned skills and specifications:
- ESL Teacher needs to have complete knowledge about the various linguistic aspects of the English language and good teaching skills.
- ESL Teacher is required to be confident and have good presence of mind.
- ESL Teacher should have good verbal as well as written communication skills.
ESL Teacher Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for an ESL Teacher are as follows:
- A high school diploma
- Bachelor’s Degree in English language
- Coursework for the Teaching English as a Second Language.
ESL Teacher Salary
The average annual salary of an ESL Teacher is $ 55,000. The pay scale may vary depending upon the person’s experience.