Finance Controller Job Description and Profile
The basic task of a Financial Controller is to oversee and manage the financial activities of the company they work for. This would include making financial strategy, analyzing different financial conditions, and reporting the data to management of the company. Since it is a senior position, the Finance Controller needs to function very carefully especially if they want to rise to the position of a finance director level. They also need to take sound decisions pertaining to the business dealings for a lot depends on their decisions. Though their functions may differ from one industry to the other the basic responsibilities remain same everywhere.
Finance Controller Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring that the company’s integrity of the ledgers of the company is maintained.
- Producing monthly administration accounts and monitoring the diverse aspects the operation style of a company.
- Producing the statutory accounts and maintaining a permanent asset register.
- Assisting in the job of producing and developing business budgets of the company they work for.
- Managing the staff of accounts dept and seeking improvements within the information systems of a company.
- Identifying the training requirements present within a department and making appropriate proposals for action.
- Identifying and evaluating the areas for development of profits keeping the cost reductions as well as methodology in mind.
- Ensuring the Quality policies as well as safety principles of the company are in keeping with the requirements of the department.
- Developing a customer based approach towards the in-house client base.
Finance Controller Education, Training and Qualifications
A Master’s degree in Finance or some business related field is highly essential to become a Finance Controller. But then in order to become a Finance Controller you would require something more than degrees; certificates and ability to deal well with the intricacies of this field is necessary.
Finance Controller Degrees, Courses & Certification
A number of certification courses are offered in this field by institutes like the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) which are extremely helpful.
Finance Controller Skills and Specifications
- Good deal of knowledge about financial principles, facts and situation
- Good amount of energy and motivation
- Excellent eye for details
- Good communicating abilities and excellent managerial skills
- Ability to work within strict deadlines
- Good understanding of business
Finance Controller Salary/Wage
The salary of a Finance Controller is about $ 80,000 annually. But then this level of salary is offered only to the most experienced professionals who enjoy good deal of expertise in this field. Some particular companies offer more generous salaries than others.