Network Engineer Job Profile and Description
A network engineer is an individual who oversees the process of installation of network information systems. They are also responsible for configuring and maintaining various network information systems. Their duty is to install new hardware systems and also software required for various networks. In an organization a network engineer may also have to support computer communication networks. They may also have to do this between two or more organizations.
They usually work in the IT department of an organization and works a as a part of the support team of the organization. Their duty is also to work as a helpdesk support, a first-line support, second-line support or a security engineer. A network engineer may also be employed in an investment bank where they may be responsible for certain areas of the system. Sometimes a network engineer also has to troubleshoot for any IT related problems.
Network Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
There are various duties and responsibilities of a network engineer. They are as follows:
- Installing hardware as well as software systems for various networks
- Supporting and maintaining hardware as well as software infrastructure
- Manage email and anti spam and provide virus protection
- Setting up passwords
- May have to set up user accounts and permission
- Monitor the usage of network
- Ensure that all IT equipments comply with industry standards
- Analyze and resolve faults related to a major system crash or a lost password
- Undertake preventive measures on a daily basis and implement, maintain and monitor network security
- Provide technical support as well as training to users about various kinds of IT knowledge
- Suggest as well as provide IT solutions to any management related problems
Network Engineer Skills and Specifications
It is necessary for a network engineer to have various skills and specifications. Some of them are as follows:
- Needs to possess thorough knowledge of networking essentials
- Must have strong analytical abilities
- Necessary to have knowledge about network switches like routers, Hubs, Servers, Racks, Firewalls, LAN, WAN, ATM, PPP etc.
Network Engineer Education and Qualification
In order to be a network engineer, an individual must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information technology
- They may also require certifications from MCSE, CCIE, CCNA or CNE
- Certifications from Cisco Systems, Windows and Linux are also helpful
Network Engineer Salary
The average annual salary of a network engineer is usually around $71000.