Resident Director Job Description and Profile
A Resident Director has the task of selecting, training and supervising the residential staff and managing the operations related to residence halls. Resident directors provide helpful services to students and these services can be everything from counseling to cultural and learning programming. They are also responsible for coordinating the administrative operations. Participating in the general planning and governance of residence hall scheme is also a part of their job. Therefore, these professionals play important role in the functioning of the residences.
Resident Director Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervising the students who work as the Resident Assistants in the residence halls, colleges etc.
- Coordinating and administering the residence related program for the betterment of the residence.
- Recruiting, selecting, and training resident assistants and monitoring work performance.
- Developing and implementing the staff training and other development programs; evaluating the works of the resident assistants regularly.
- Developing a familiarity with the campus resources to ensure for better operation.
- Establishing and maintaining good deal of communication with the students who live in the residence halls.
- Serving as an intermediary whenever necessary in order to furnish solutions for problems amongst students.
- Developing and helping to maintain consciousness about the community issues for those students who reside in these residences.
- Working with the Resident Assistants for assessing the student needs, anticipating and promoting social, cultural, educational and recreational programs.
- Cultivating, coordinating, and assisting in development of leadership sense amongst students.
- Sponsoring or assist in the process of sponsorship of diverse schemes in the residence halls.
- Assuming alternative assignments like that of housing assignments in addition to the regular assignments.
Resident Director Education, Training and Qualifications
A bachelor’s or master’s degree is extremely imperative to become a resident director. In order to rise to the position of a director it is important to have good deal of work experience and hold over the co- workers.
Resident Director Degrees, Courses & Certification
There are many certification courses on housing facilities, residential life, which need to be taken by these students in order to stay updated about this field of work.
Resident Director Skills and Specifications
- Knowledge of residence governance rules and regulations
- Ability to build strong relationships with the residents of the area.
- Good communicator with great supervisory abilities
- Good presentation and organization skills
- Highly confident and alert
- Good leadership qualities and responsible
Resident Director Salary/Wage
The salary of a Resident Director is about $70,000 annually. This salary is dependent on a number of factors like the experience and expertise of professional, location of the industry etc.