Staff Accountant Job Profile and Description
A staff accountant is a professional who is responsible for assisting and supporting the Chief Financial Officer or senior accountants in performing accounting tasks. These professionals are required to perform tasks like preparation of accounting and financial reports, assisting seniors in financial forecasting, in preparation of budget etc. These candidates assist seniors in all aspects of financial tasks and responsibilities, and help them by doing various accounting related tasks
Staff Accountant Duties and Responsibilities
The roles and responsibilities of a staff accountant include the following:
- Managing, preparing and maintaining the accounts and financial records of the organization.
- Preparing accounting and financial reports periodically like monthly, quarterly and annual reports should be prepared within scheduled deadlines.
- Managing, analysing and maintain the budgets of the organization and individual departments.
- Calculation and preparation of profit and loss statements for the organization.
- Assisting the legal and taxation department while preparing taxes and tax returns.
- Keeping track of company expenditures and assisting inventory department in controlling cost to enhance the profit levels of the organization.
- Detecting any accounting anomalies and issues, and reporting them to higher authorities to take corrective actions.
- Maintaining and managing the petty cash account of the organization.
Staff Accountant Skills and Specifications
A staff accountant must possess following requisite skills:
- Willingness to work for stretched hours in order to complete the assignments within stipulated deadlines
- Must possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must give attention to detail and should possess accuracy in work.
- Must have good organizational skills.
- Must possess excellent multitasking skills and should be able to handle various responsibilities successfully.
Staff Accountant Education and Qualification
The education qualifications required to become a staff accountant are as follows:
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, commerce or in any other accounting related course.
- Hands-on training in job costing.
- Knowledge of office applications like MS excel, MS outlook, MS access, MS work and spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of various accounting software and applications.
- Must also obtain the required and necessary certifications and licenses related with professional accounting
- Certificate level courses in accounting, taxation, book keeping etc.
- Must possess good mathematical skills to be able to work accurately with accounting data.
Staff Accountant Salary
Staff accountant is an entry level designation which is generally handed over to fresher or less experienced candidates. These professional earn up to $25,000 – $45,000 depending on their qualifications and experience in the field of accounting.