Teacher Assistant is required to help the teachers in various tasks such as preparing the curriculum, designing study modules, conducting classes, finding out ways to make the classroom sessions more interesting, handling the students, dealing with difficult subjects, updating the bulletin board, etc. They basically help the teachers in doing all this. They act as a support staff for the teachers and with their help the teachers are able to accomplish several tasks with ease.
It is essential to have knowledge about various subjects being taught in the school. Specialization in a particular subject is preferred since in order to prepare study material, set examination papers and guide the students efficiently it is very essential to specialize in the subject he/she is working on.
Teacher Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a Teacher Assistant include:
- Teacher Assistant is required to coordinate with the teachers to prepare study materials and curriculum for the students.
- Teacher Assistant needs to update the bulletin boards with the latest information.
- Teacher Assistant is required to give the subject matter to the students by conducting lectures or classroom sessions under the supervision of the teachers.
- Teacher Assistant is required to look for new and interesting ways to impart education to the students.
- Teacher Assistant needs to ensure that the students maintain the decorum while in the classroom, labs, assembly hall and various other places in the school premises and even while on school trips.
- Teacher Assistant may be involved in teaching dancing, arts, craft and other such skills to the students.
- Teacher Assistant is involved in preparing the examination papers.
- Teacher Assistant needs to distribute homework assignments and also check them once done.
- Teacher Assistant is also involved in evaluating the students’ performance.
Teacher Assistant Skills and Specifications
Teacher Assistant requires the below mentioned skills and specifications:
- Teacher Assistant should be a good listener and have the ability to follow instructions given by others.
- Teacher Assistant should have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Teacher Assistant should be confident.
Teacher Assistant Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a Teacher Assistant are as follows:
- A high school diploma
- Bachelor’s in the subject he intends to teach
- Master’s in the subject he intends to teach
- Relevant Experience is recommended.
Teacher Assistant Salary
The average annual salary of a Teacher Assistant is around $ 45,000. The salary may vary based on various factors such as the employer, the work experience and the qualification of the candidate.